Visiting Orwell Park Observatory
Observatory tours provide an opportunity for individuals to visit Orwell Park Observatory.
The next tour is TBA in autumn 2018. Details will be posted here when finalised
We open Orwell Park Observatory by arrangement for visits by groups (e.g. social clubs, Scouts, hobby groups, etc). Group visits are generally organised for Thursday evenings, starting at 8.15pm.
Group visits must be booked in advance. There is generally a high demand so we ask you to book in good time - we cannot accommodate last-minute requests!
Email us to arrange a group visit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the number of visitors and provide a contact email address and telephone number.
About Observatory Tours And Group Visits
Two or more experienced members of OASI are assigned to host each observatory tour and group visit. They will generally cover the following topics, although these can be varied depending on the particular interests of visitors:
- Guided tour of the observatory.
- History of the observatory.
- The instruments at the observatory, how they were used historically and how they are used nowadays.
- If weather conditions permit, view the night sky using the Tomline Refractor.
- We ask for a minimum donation of £3 per visitor (payable during the visit) to assist with running costs of the observatory.
- Access to toilet facilities at the observatory is very limited.
- Access to the observatory is via a steep, spiral staircase. All visitors should ensure that they are able to ascend/descend the staircase safely before attempting to do so.
For observatory tours and group visits, enter at green marker.
We hold observatory Open Days approximately annually.
It is not necessary to book in advance for an Open Day - simply attend on the day.
Enter at blue marker.
Our next Open Days are:
- 19 October 2018, 19:30 - 22:00. Last admission: 21:30.
- 20 October 2018, 19:30 - 22:00. Last admission: 21:30.
Further information. Previous Open Days.