Open Day Programme,
29 September 1979
- 14:00 Doors open.
- 15:00 History of Orwell Park Mansion and Observatory by Roy Cheesman (meet in gym at 14:50).
- 15:30 Film shows. There will be three astronomical films each lasting approx 25 minutes. Meet in the gym at 15:20.
- 18:00 Film shows. Meet in the gym at 17:50.
- 20:00 Grand draw in the gym.
- 21:00 The night sky. A guide to the stars with David Barnard. Meet in the gym at 20:50 pm.
- 23:00 (approx) Close.
In The Observatory Tower
- The Orwell Park Telescope will be engaged in solar work during the afternoon. During the evening the Telescope will be available for visitors to view the heavens.
- In the Club Room below the Orwell Park Telescope a 2½″ refractor and a solar telescope will be engaged in solar observing during the afternoon. During the evening the 2½″ refractor will be available for visitors to observe the heavens.
- Various displays of astronomical photographs and news items.
In The Gymnasium
- Exhibition of members' equipment.
- Exhibition of astronomical equipment and books by Messrs. Bretmain Ltd, Felixstowe.
- Continuous astronomical slide show.
- Display of antique astronomy books.
- Exhibition of books and data on unidentified flying objects.
- Models of various spacecraft.
- Model of the solar system.
- Many more displays and items of astronomical interest...
- Refreshments available in the gym.
- The telescopes will be used during the afternoon and evening, weather permitting. If it is cloudy and we are unable to use the telescopes during the evening we will have a home made planetarium show in the Observatory, demonstrated by Mr Roy Cheesman. The show is entitled The Night Sky from Ipswich, and lasts approximately 30 minutes.