Orwell Astronomical Society (Ipswich)
Open Weekend Programme,
07 - 08 October 2000
- Doors open at 7.00pm on Saturday 07 October and 5.00pm on Sunday 08 October 2000
- Last admission 9.30pm on both days
- Samples of lunar rock collected by the Apollo 16 & 17 missions, complete with background information displays (courtesy of PPARC and NASA).
- Samples of meteorites with background displays (courtesy of PPARC).
- Earth & Sky, suppliers of astronomical books will be presenting their popular travelling sales stand.
- An Interactive Computerised Display aimed at entertaining and enlightening young people.
- Radio astronomy display, featuring the Shoemaker-Levy 9 / Jupiter impact in 1994 (courtesy of OASI member Paul Whiting).
- Display boards by pupils of Orwell Park School.
- OASI Stand displaying the activities of our society (including telescope making, getting started in astronomy, etc). Visitors can join OASI or discuss aspects of astronomy with our members. There are also free children's astronomy information packs, generously provided by PPARC.
- Displays by neighbouring Astronomical Societies.
- 26 cm Tomline Refractor
- 25 cm Dobsonian
- 11 cm Newtonian refractor
- 12.5 cm Meade ETX
- Various other small telescopes and binoculars
Visitors are welcome to look at the sky through our telescopes.