Open Day Programme,
24 September 1977
- 14:00 Doors open.
- 14:30 History of Orwell Park and the refracting telescope, Roy Cheesman.
- 15:15 Illustrated talk on the galaxy, John Dean.
- 15:40 Illustrated talk on the solar system, Roy Cheesman.
- 16:00 Illustrated talk on radio astronomy, David Payne.
- 16:20 Illustrated talk on UFOs, John Hood.
- 18:00 History of Orwell Park and the refracting telescope, Roy Cheesman.
- 18:30 Illustrated talk on optical telescopes, Mike Barriskill.
- 18:50 Illustrated talk on Mars, David Bearcroft.
- 19:15 Illustrated talk on meteors, David Barnard.
- 19:35 Grand Draw.
- 20:45 The night sky, in the grounds Of Orwell Park School, David Barnard.
Display Of Members' Telescopes And Equipment
- 8½″ home constructed reflector and 2½″ refractor, K Cooper.
- 5″ reflector, J Hood.
- 4½″ reflector, David Barnard.
- 4½″ refractor, M Cooke.
- 3″ refractor, David Bearcroft.
- 3″ refractor, Mike Barriskill.
- 3″ refractor, John Deans.
- 2½″ refractor, Martin Cook.
- 2½″ refractor, Steve Flory.
- 2½″ refractor, N Wright.
- 2½″ refractor, Vernon Wilkes.
- 2½″ refractor, R S Manning.
- 2½″ refractor configured for solar observing, Michael Stow.
- The above times are approximate.
- The telescopes will be used provided that it is not raining!
- Refreshments available from approx 14:30 until 19:00.
- The Orwell Park Refractor will be engaged in observing the Sun during the day and observing the night sky after dark.
- Star maps, books, photographs, etc. are on display in the Club Room.
- Many members of OASI own larger telescopes than those on display which they use in their gardens. Unfortunately, they are unable to display these larger instruments, which include: 12½″, 10″ and 8½″ reflectors. OASI also owns the 8″ Barrell Reflector, housed in the grounds of Orwell Park School.